Re: Lilypond website

From: donald_j_axel
Subject: Re: Lilypond website
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:28:33 +0100

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:57:49 +0100
Han-Wen Nienhuys  <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am looking forward to your constructive criticism, and will read
> your patches closely.

The discussion has brought forward many new points to me. I was
aware that clickers might spend as much time, and that text-format
and CVS is the ultimate tool for larger projects.

Dear Han-Wen (and Jan), I was fascinated by the beautiful fonts
from first on. I have tried to learn some Scheme (and understand
a little now, soon more) and want to contribute. However! I think
I had better study many more details before trying to add anything.

The best way for me to contribute at this stage is simply to make
a HOWTO on piano music with LilyPond. PianoMusic is sometimes very
difficult and demands many subtle techniques. I do not dare to do
Ravel's "Jeu d'eaux" but after doing Chopin's C Major prelude and
some of my own stuff, seeing grace notes and acciacaturas in the
Nereides I am convinced that it can be done, because one has access
to all the parameters of sizes and distances.

So LilyPond is great for sure. Thank you for your great work.

After the first success one simply re-uses code. My HOWTO will
include examples on how to use internal variables, and explain
where it isn't good. Many examples may be collected from the mail
list (asking people if it is ok or making a parallel).

So I am in a position where I enjoy *very much* to discover and
use the power of LilyPond.

Happy New Year

Donald

--