Re: debugging scores

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: debugging scores
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:17:25 -0500

On Monday 05 January 2004 04:06 pm, Aaron wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks for the help with the trio template.
>
> Now the golden question.
> how do I debug my score?
>
> Must I use sly?

Of course not, although there would be the advantage of being
able so see all simultaneous events on the same line (and/or
group of lines in the new version).

> Is there a measure check utitlity?

lilypond does that.  Sly doesn't know anything about measures.  It works
with lines.  It is quicker to find the line where a "," is typed instead
of a ".", if lilypond catches the error and gives the line number, but
keeping the same number of measures per line is something that sly
doesn't do for you.  To date, the assumption has always been that
there was one measure per line in each of your four parts.

> I would like a way to check that all parts have the same amount of
> measures and that the time sig. changes occur at the same places.

It would help to have a global part simultaneous with the other
parts.  If that is true, then it is the placement of the notes,
not the time sig., etc., that is in question.

> I being dumb have not been able to get sly setup.

sly is a bash script.  What os are you using?

I will post an unfinished version of sly shortly.  It is in python, and
while it lacks the ability to make a new version of the .sly file, it is
much more useful, flexible, and powerful than the old version.  Since
lilypond depends on a recent python version, I have some confidence that
you will have much less difficulty in setting it up for windows.  You
also will be able to have a space in front of your barchecks according
to what field separator you choose if any.

I had the knockdown flu, which was not included in the immunizations
given in this country, and I had a problem with my firewall, which
together slowed me down quite a bit.  Sorry.  daveA

--
Failure is certain when you fail to identify your enemy and invade the
wrong country.  Our troops defend the enemy and weaken our country by