Re: NoteEdit and LilyPond-2.x (ver 2)

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: NoteEdit and LilyPond-2.x (ver 2)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:57:40 +0100

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 19.51, Joerg Anders wrote:
> Thank you. But I thought chords remain < d2 a2 >
> Only StaffGroup and ChoirStaff have <<...>> parenthesis.(?)
>
> The problem is:
>
> g'4 < e' b' f' > a a
>
> is different from
>
> g'4 << e' b' f' >> a a
>
> the 2 'a' are one octave higher. This is an error source ...

When the chord notation changed, also the octaviation changed. The easy way to
solve it is to add the line:
#(ly:set-option 'old-relative)
in the beginning of the file, and then use <> for chords and <<>> for
polyphony, without changing any octave code. This should work (but I am not
sure).

The new \relative syntax works as follows (José didn't mention this):
In the example {a <b c d> e }, the pitch of b is set relative a, c relative b,
d relative c, and e is set relative b, i.e. the chord is externally treated
as one single note with the pitch of the chord's first one. (When I say that
x is set relative y, I mean that it is the pitch of y that decides which
octave x is placed in).

The \relative notation is that the pitch of one note is always set relative
the previous one to the left in the input file. I.e., in {a <<{c g} b d>> f},
c is set relative a, g relative c, b relative g, d relative b, and f is set
relative d. (with the old relative syntax, f would have been set relative g
instead, since that was the last note of the first music expression of the
<<>>).

Note that this is just what I have found out from my own experience using
lilypond, so I only have empirical evidence that it really is this way. So
can someone please protest if I'm wrong on some point?

Erik