Re: constructive criticism

From: John Williams
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:10:38 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Years ago, we hoped that people would pick up on writing or improving
> the manual; I can't count the number of times that people have
> proposed to write tutorials, setup wikis, rewrite the manual, etc.
>
> Almost none of it happened. Even now the manual explicitly says
>
>       If you are looking for something,
>       and you cannot find it by using the index, that is considered a bug.
>       In that case, please file a bug report.

What if you allowed users to do it in smaller bites?

Would you consider a "manual with comments" (like php and mysql have) on
the web, or even a wiki manual?

The "manual with comments" would allow the users to easily make comments
on the manual, and you could incorporate changes from (or based on) the
comments into the manual as time permits.

The wiki approach allows the users to directly change and extend the
manual.  I suspect it would improve faster, but you lose some control over
it.  Wikis keep a history, so you can undo changes if needed.  It would
also need some customization to work with lilypond-book.

~ John Williams