Re: constructive criticism

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:54:42 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> >this is intentional, but I can understand that it is confusing.
> >
> >I've updated the tremolo entry of the manual with links. I've also
> >changed the SEEALSO section like this
> >
> >     In this manual: *Tremolo subdivisions::, *Note Repeats::.
> >
> >     Internals: tremolo beams are *Beam:: objects. Single stem tremolos are
> >     *StemTremolo::s.  The music expression is *note TremoloEvent::,
> >
> >     Example files: `input/regression/chord-tremolo.ly',
> >     `input/regression/stem-tremolo.ly'.
> >

> >now what only needs to be done, is applying the same layout to all
> >other SEEALSO entries.
> >
> >(hint hint)
> >

> Thanks this is now much clearer.
> What does it take to update this?  I would be glad to help if needed.

Please! Show some initiative for yourself; I just answered the same
question this morning.

> Again the lazyness issue is related to wikis. The lowering of the
> threshold issue is partially an issue but  truthfully the kiss method
> usually is the best. In my years as a tech writer, the best was
> expressed as simply and clearly as possible, and with the least amount
> of words.
>
> My experience with the lilypond docs are that they usually put in the
> least amount of information as possible, relying on the other sections
> of the documentation to fill in the missing pieces.  This is in fact how
> programmers think, regular users will skip to the help they need as in
> F1 help and can get confused.

This is intentional: since things change in LilyPond regularly,
duplicating information makes maintaining the documentation much
harder. It is another form of using "the least amount of words."  I
think a partial solution is to have more links within the document.