example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestion

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestions")
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:06:30 -0500

Hey, y'all...

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

For the tips & tricks, it is best if the each example is stripped to its
bare essentials, and only demonstrates one and only one tip or trick.

I would agree with this *to a point*.

However, for my own learning curve -- especially when I'm a newbie in some field -- I find it useful to see "real-world" examples, which almost by definition will include tens (if not hundreds) of tips/tricks/techniques working together towards a well-defined, "useful" goal. Being shown how a bolt fits into a nut is one thing; seeing fourteen bolt-and-nut combos combined with three pieces of dovetail-joined wood and a leather strap to make a portable bookcase can often be more instructive to many people.

Unfortunately, these "intermediate examples" are much more difficult to develop properly than simple "one-trick ponies" -- I know, having been involved in training and materials development for many years -- but that fact should not deter us from doing our best.

Hopefully, we (the Lilypond community) can work together to make sure as many different "instructive" examples as possible **of differing complexities** are available, so that the greatest number of learners can take the fullest advantage of Lilypond in the shortest period of time.

Onward and upward!
Kieren.