publishing the lilypond essay

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: publishing the lilypond essay
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:06:23 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> Greetings. I am a big fan of GNU Lilypond, as well as a fellow hacker, so I
> wanted to write in with some kudos for a job very well done. Recently, I've
> been looking into publishing some sheet music books, and plan to use
> Lilypond for the engraving. I had two questions (and here's hoping this is
> the right address to send to).
>
> First, I was wondering if you have a version of your online essay
> http://lilypond.org/web/about/automated-engraving/ that you'd like
> published. I'd like to give credit to the Lilypond team, and also explain to
> our readers why the engraving is of such high quality. My first thought was
> to reproduce your essay (verbatim or condensed) in each edition. What do you
> think? Do you have a PDF version of it already?

There is no PDF, but it's on our list of things to do - personally, I
wouldn't put the essay in your publications, we would very surely be
very honored with a "Engraved by LilyPond version ... (http://lilypond.org)

Also, using LilyPond for real publication work is fairly unchartered
territory. Perhaps it is better to worry about the covers when you've
finished the typesetting work :-)

> Second, I work on this project with several people who have a very keen eye
> for typesetting and musical notation (alas, I am not one myself). I was
> curious if this is the right place to send in errors or suggested
> corrections that they catch in the output of Lilypond. I'm fluent in C++ and
> python, so with some orientation I may be able to help contribute fixes. Is
> there someone in particular I should talk to about this? I'd hate to be
> submitting things that are either not actual bugs or redundant known issues.

Known issues are typically documented in the manual's BUG
sections. We're always interested in feedback, especially on the
typography, because we meet very little other people with expertise in
that regard.