Re: PDF editing [WAS: praise (and a sample)]

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: PDF editing [WAS: praise (and a sample)]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:33:59 -0500

Jan:

That was going to be one of my manual tweaks (in Illustrator), but I'm

Does that work yet.  I do not remember having seen a followup to

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-12/msg00103.html

If it works, do you have to do somethings special, or does it work
with the examples on the lilypond website too?

It "works" (with all lilypond examples) -- that is, after running a standard lilypond output file (.ps) through ps2ps, I can manipulate all the objects and font-outlines in Illustrator. To be honest, that has been sufficient for my purposes while I'm still at this end of the lilypond learning curve.

However, the overall process is not superior for (at least) two reasons:

1. I suspect the post-ps2ps file has "less-than-perfect resolution" (even though on my 1200-dpi printer it seems crisp).
2.  I can't add text objects in Illustrator using feta (etc.).

As I mentioned a while ago, I am founding a music publishing firm which will be based on Lilypond, and so I am very interested in working with you (the development team) on "perfecting" this process -- e.g., packaging the fonts outside of Lilypond, making sure those weird "doublings" (e.g., staff-edge bar lines, clefs, and time signatures) are weeded out, etc.

Unfortunately, I have been very busy over the holidays, which is why there has been no followup to the earlier posting. I now have some time to spare -- how do you suggest I go about this in a way which makes it easiest on the development team?

Thanks,
Kieren.