Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for sugges

From: Nick Busigin
Subject: Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestions")
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:11:31 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> Mutopia can be very helpful, but there are problems with the
> files there as examples:
>
> 1.  It is not clear before download what version of lilypond was used to
> create a file.  There is a very nice footer at the bottom of
> Mutopia-2004/01/05-38S, but lilypond is not mentioned, nor is the
> version used to create the file.  Some Mutopia files are quite old, and
> that is not a bad thing, but it would be helpful if you didn't have to
> load or open anything to find out the version.

Hi David,

It is possible to search for pieces on the Mutopia web site by
specifying the version of lily that was used.

> 2.  There are mistakes.  For example, in Mutopia-2004/01/05-380
> the first note is not dotted and 34 or so dots are just missing.
> (The lower part should be dotsDown.)
>
> 3.  In the same file, three parts are written but the "global" part is
> prefatory rather than sumultaneous, so that the benefit of having a
> global part is not realized.  It would be better to call that part
> "prep" or something other than global, in case one wants both.  The
> setting is adequate except for the dotted notes, and it has excellences,
> and it works, but my concern is that it doesn't serve as a very good
> example for a newbie.
>
> 4.  Last, there is some questionable notation here and there.  There
> is a great need for constructive criticism, and I don't feel that
> it would be appreciated.

These are certainly valid (constructive) criticisms.  If someone wanted
to submit a piece (or portions of it) for criticism first and then to
Mutopia, perhaps it would be best to post it on the Wiki first.  Then
after being polished as a result of suggestions from Wiki participants
it could be posted to Mutopia.  I would really welcome that approach as
I know I would learn a lot from that process.

                                      Nick

Nick Busigin                                             address@hidden
            Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!