Re: 2.1.7-3!!

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: 2.1.7-3!!
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:55:48 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> > I can't remember I changed anything in that, except for the
> > combination with ledgers.
>
> No, it's the same as it's always been (at least since I joined, ca
> v1.8) -- I've *always* found the first accidental too close (esp.
> naturals).

Oh, ok.  I suppose the distance should be increased if the acc is
before a downstem.   I added a TODO.

> Here are samples from 2.0.1 and 2.1.7-3; you'll see that many of the
> stems have changed by a whole staff_space or more. In particular, the
> *minimum* stem length on multi-beam notes (the running 16ths, in this
> example) seems to be too short in most circumstances -- maybe if you
> just enforce that (without going back to the longer stems in general),
> that will solve the problem? Notice the (related?) fact that the slope
> has changed on those same note sets (q.v., m19 2nd set; m20 both sets;
> m22 1st set).

I think in both respects 2.1 looks better than 2.0. The almost zero
slant is rounded to 0, and short 16th stems is actually what most of
the engravings that we have do. In particular, the Schubert song had
shorter stems on 16th  beams

If you like you can experiment a little for yourself,
the property that was changed is

  beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths

in Stem.