Re: Wish: Page Layout Diagram

From: Nick Busigin
Subject: Re: Wish: Page Layout Diagram
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:10:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > Here's a documentation wish list item:  page layout diagrams that show
> > how things are spaced
>
> What "things" exactly?

The things I'm referring to are the graphical objects on the page.  A
diagram showing the objects on the staff (or page) with their names and
the various properties/variables that affect how they are spaced
relative to other objects.

Lily takes care of 95% of the layout really well so I don't even have to
think about it when I'm entering the music into a .ly file.  However,
the 5% of the things that need tweaking take up 95% of the time I spend
with lily.  I'm sure that will change as I get more familiar with lily,
but as I page through the documentation trying to find out how to do the
tweaks, I find myself wishing for something that would show me
graphically how things fit together.  I provided a figure from a LaTeX
manual which showed how LaTeX layed out a page.  That figure showed the
various parts of a page and the variables one would set to alter the
page layout properties (as well as what the defaults were set to).  Now,
with lily, things are a little more complex as we're not dealing with
mainly text, but I still think that diagrams such as that one would be
very useful in showing how things are positioned and spaced out on the
screen - and what to tweak to change the layout.

> Speaking of diagrams, how do you people like this?
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Technical-manual.html#Technical%20manual
>
> It's an attempt at clarifying all the different property types.

That looks good.  A minor point:  you mention "scheme style naming" on
the above page. That's meaningful to me because I'm a programmer.  For a
person who is not a programmer, it may be worth mentioning that
scheme-style names use dashes and lower cases letters.  In all fairness
scheme style naming is described in another part of the manual, but if
the user hasn't read that, they will be a little fuzzy about this
particular page.

                                   Nick

Nick Busigin                                             address@hidden
            Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!