accidental placement (was "Re: 2.1.7-3!!")

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: accidental placement (was "Re: 2.1.7-3!!")
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:16:26 -0500

Hello, all --

Han-Wen wrote:
I suppose the distance should be increased
if the acc is before a downstem. I added a TODO.

Super!
(By the way, if I wanted to experiment on this, what
property/settings/code would I need to modify/create?)

probably right-padding of AccidentalPlacement. (not sure)

I think that would affect *all* accidentals, not just the first, right? Seems to me that Lily's placement of accidentals beyond the first column works quite well...

I double-checked in Ross (ps 131): he says the left edge of the first accidental is set 1.5 spaces to the left of the left edge of the notehead/stem.

A quick averaging of measurements taken in Illustrator from an untweaked Lilypond score reveals the following:
    staff space = 4 pt --> 1.5 space = 6 pt
    sharp = 5.1 pt (85% of recommended)
    flat = 4.5 pt (75% of recommended)
    natural = 3.6 pt (60% [!!] of recommended)

Here's a sample measure:

To my eye, they're all too close, but in particular, the naturals are downright crowded.

Now, I'm not certain that they should all be set a full 1.5 spaces as per Ross -- even when "right justified" to compensate for the difference in glyph widths, to my eye that's a little much (though not unbearable), :

In these days of high-resolution output, something a little closer to the note seems appropriate and feasible -- here's a compromise (5.5 points instead of a full 6):

To my eye, that's more pleasing than the default (in fact, a couple of 1/10ths of a point more might be even better).

Anyone have thoughts?

Regards,
Kieren.