Re: Help! Syntax has me completely stumped!

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Help! Syntax has me completely stumped!
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:24:27 +0100

Your file had two problems.

- Since the \global contains things that have to go into a
  Staff context to make sense, LilyPond created an extra
  stave at the top to handle them. Just include the \global
  within one of the staves instead, for example

- You included the lyrics within the Staff context, which doesn't make
  sense. It has to come after the '}' matching '\new Staff {'.

Also, I don't understand why you didn't let the \notes apply
directly to all the contents of the Staff (which also gets rid
of one pair of curly brackets, which confused you).

So, the beginning of the \score declaration could be changed into
something like

\score {
        \new ChoirStaff <<
                \addlyrics
                \new Staff \notes \relative c' <<
                        \global

                        \property Staff.instrument = "Annette"
                        \key a \major

                        \new Voice {
                                e4
                                cis e2 e4
                                cis'4. a8~ a4 e
                                cis' a2 b4
                                a2.
                        }

                \new Lyrics \words
                \addlyrics
                \new Staff \notes \relative c' {
                        \property Staff.instrument = "Andrew"
                         \key a \major

                        d4
                        cis cis2 d4
                        a'4. fis8~ fis4 e
                        a fis2 gis4
                        fis2.
                }
                \new Lyrics \words

The rest of the staves could follow the example of the second one
(Andrew). The first one is a bit special, since I included \global
in it.

   /Mats

Andrew Longland-Meech wrote:
Hello All!

I'm new to the list, so be gentle with me please!

Can anyone tell me why the attached .ly file won't work - it seems such
a simple piece of music. It produces the output shown in the attached
.png file instead of what I want - which is a system of four staves with
identical words underneath each staff. As you can see there is something
weird going on with the rhythm in bar 2 and the lyrics are just doing
their own thing!

Also why did I have to put in the \RemoveEmptyStaffContext command in
the \paper block to get get rid of a spurious extra staff that appeared
at the top of the page? I wouldn't have thought so simple a piece would
require this.

I'm confused because I have previously managed to get far more complex
pieces to work properly!

BTW I'm using v2.0.0 of Lily from PlanetCCRMA.

Thanx in advance,

Andrew

%Good Morning!

\version "2.0.0"
\include "paper16.ly"

\paper  {
        linewidth = 16.0\cm
        \translator {
                \RemoveEmptyStaffContext

\header {
        dedication = ""
        title = "Good Morning!"
        subtitle = ""
        subsubtitle = ""
        composer = ""
        opus = ""
        piece = ""
        instrument = ""
        arranger = "arr. FJB"
        poet = ""
        texttranslator = ""
        copyright = "FJB"
        footer = "Typeset by GNU Lilypond"
        tagline = "Typeset by GNU Lilypond"
        source =  ""
        enteredby = "A L Longland-Meech"
        maintainerEmail = "address@hidden"

}

global = \notes {
        \time 2/2
        \partial 4
        \skip 4*16 \bar "|."
}

words = \lyrics {
        Good
        morn -- ing, good
        morn -- ing, good
        morn -- ing to
        you!
}

\score {
        \new ChoirStaff <<
                \global
                \addlyrics
                \new Staff {
                        \property Staff.instrument = "Annette"
\notes \key a \major \notes \relative c' {
                                e4
                                cis e2 e4
                                cis'4. a8~ a4 e
                                cis' a2 b4
                                a2.
                        }
                \new Lyrics \words
                }
                \addlyrics
                \new Staff {
                        \property Staff.instrument = "Andrew"
\notes \key a \major \notes \relative c' {
                                d4
                                cis cis2 d4
                                a'4. fis8~ fis4 e
                                a fis2 gis4
                                fis2.
                        }
                \new Lyrics \words
                }
                \addlyrics
                \new Staff {
                        \property Staff.instrument = "Fred"
\notes \key a \major \notes \relative c' {
                                b4
                                a b2 b4
                                fis4. e8~ e4 e
                                fis d2 e4
                                e2.
                        }
                \new Lyrics \words
                }
                \addlyrics
                \new Staff {
                        \property Staff.instrument = "Dan"
\notes \key a \major \notes \relative c' {
                                gis4
                                a a2 a4
                                e'4. cis8~ cis4 e
                                d b2 d