Re: transposing instruments

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: transposing instruments
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:34:01 +0100

I would say that it's better to write it the way it's easier to write... i.e.,
if you are copying from notes that were written as cdef, then write cdef, and
if they were written as d e fis g, then write d e fis g.

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 23.13, Fodor Bertalan wrote:
> I have a practical question about transposing instruments, perhaps you have
> some experience.
> For example we make a c major score for Flute, Piano and Clarinet in Bb.
> What notation should be used for "c d e f" in the Clarinet part?
> I think it is natural to use \property Staff.transposing = #-2
> So we have to have notes in d major.
> What way is better for it:
> \notes { d e fis g } -> i.e. write "played" notes (as you see in the score)
> or
> \notes { \transpose c d { c d e f } } -> i.e. write "heared" notes
>
> (My first guess is that the latter is better, because this way I can easily
> put that to other - non-transposing - instruments, I just have to remove
> the transpose)

otoh, you could also add a \transpose d c before the {d e fis g}. So both ways
really work equivalently well.

Erik