Re: chord/tie/voicing help

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: chord/tie/voicing help
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:39:29 +0100

By mistake, I sent the answer only to Ray. Since we had a
copule of misleading answers to the list, it's best to add
my attempt to the list archives as well.

   /Mats

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Since the g is the only common note between the two chords, LilyPond
will automatically give you the desired tie if you have
<f' g'>4 ~ <g' e' c'>2
for example.
So, why doesn't it work in your example? The answer is that
the construct << ... \\ ... >> creates two new Voice contexts,
one for the upper voice and one for the lower voice. None of these
contexts will be the same as the Voice context you have in the line.
Since LilyPond will only tie notes that belong to the same Voice
context, this means that you don't get the desired tie.

The solution is to explicitly specify the same name of the upper
Voice in the <<...\\...>> as you have for the rest of the music:
\notes{ \context Voice=main { \time 3/4
  <<\context Voice = main <f' g'>4 ~ \\ b4 >> <g' e' c' g>2 }}

You might want to specify a \tieUp if you don't get the desired
direction of the tie.

  /Mats

Ray McKinney wrote:

I've attached a small PNG file to illustrate something similar to my situation.
Here is the source for it:
  \notes { \time 3/4 << <f' g'>4 \\ b4 >> <g' e' c' g>2 }

What I want to do is, keeping the stem layout in the example, tie the top G
between the chords.
I know the answer for creating ties into/out of chords is to use multiple
voices, and I've done that successfully in all other cases I've encountered. But this situation raises the problem of notehead placement for the F and G. I'm assuming I'll need to manually shift the G to the right and hide its stem. I think I can do this given enough time in the manual/regression tests/list archives and some trial and error. Before I do that, I'd like guidance. Is it the best way? If I shift the G, will I have to manually tweak the start point
of the tie, too?

Breaking the second chord causes a few problems, too. I'm assuming I need to use two voices - g'2 and \stemUp <e' c' g>2. This causes stem clashes and
lilypond complains. Is this the best way?

Finally, something not in the example is the second chord in my real piece is a dotted half. Doing \stemUp on notes that originally had stems down leaves the dots in stems-down position. Is there an easy way to shift the dots up I'm
missing, or do I need to just manually move their position?

I'm not necessarily asking for someone to give me the code to do this, but I am seeking guidance or reassurance that I'm on the right track from those of you
with much more experience.

Thanks!
Ray

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/