Melisma and underscores

From: Nancho Alvarez
Subject: Melisma and underscores
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:20:43 +0100

Hi
I would like to know if there is any way to indicate a melisma using the underscore _ (or other character) inside the Lyrics block.
I know that to get a melisma the proper thing to do is combine the lines:

\notes{c \melisma d e f \melismaEnd g}
\lyrics{li -- ly -- pond }

but I would like to use something similar to

\notes{c d e f g }
\lyrics{li -- _ _ ly -- pond }

I have written some lilypond files with music by Tomas Luis de Victoria (http://tomasluisdevictoria.org),
using this erroneus syntax because I thought it was correct.
The problem of this approach is that the hypens are not properly displayed nor the alignment is correct.
I tried to adapt it to the good syntax but it is a great lot of work,
there are more than 200 files and it is music very melismatic and with many different voices. For that reason, my last hope is that there exist a variable o property to force lilypond to understand the underscores as melisma and treat them as if there were a pair \melisma \melismaEnd inserted.

Thank you in advance
                                             NANCHO