Re: Trill endings

From: Simon Bailey aka c10221
Subject: Re: Trill endings
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:56:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> Hello.
>

> I've just started using LilyPond.  Thanks a lot for such a nice (and Free)
> software.
>

> In my first copist work, I encountered a measure (in 4/4) which I tried to
> represent with the
> following code:
>
>  c8 g g4^\trill ( \acciaccatura { f16[ g] ) } f8 c' c4^\trill ( \acciaccatura
> { b16[ c] ) } | b8
>
> Now, here the grace notes are used to figure how the trill ends (as I didn't
> find out another
> way to do it) and not as ornamentation of the following note.
> For the first trill, which appears in the middle of the measure, the
> resulting output is satisfactory;
> but for the second (which is the last note in the measure), the "ending"
> (i.e. the grace notes) are
> taken over to the following measure, which is definitely not what I want.
>
> Is there a right way to do this?

in the manual in the section grace-notes:

<<<<
   If you want to end a note with a grace, then the standard trick is
to put the grace notes after a "space note", e.g.
     \context Voice {
         << { d1^\trill ( }
          { s2 \grace { c16[ d] } } >>
        c4)
     }

> Also, in the sheet from which I'm copying, they put these "trill endings"
> between parentheses.  Is
> it possible to do that with LilyPond?

see the file input/regression/molecule-hacking.ly in
/usr/share/doc/lilypond/examples or on the webpage.

hth, regards,
sb