Re: 2 lilypond-book fragments on a single line

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: 2 lilypond-book fragments on a single line
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:43:30 +0100

Maybe you have been hurt by the bug described in
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2003-10/msg00030.html
This has been fixed in 2.1 but it seems it was never backported
to 2.0.

Even when this bug is solved, you'll find some problems with this
approach. When I try it with a recent 2.1.x version, the fragment is
actually printed on the same line as the first score line of the piece,
but there are two problems left:
- The indentation of the first line of the piece has to match the
  length of the incipit fragment, otherwise the right margin won't
  be even. One solution would be to include the fragment in a TeX
  box of a specified length and set the indentation of the piece
  accordingly.

- The vertical alignment is not what you want. It looks as if the
  vertical center of the fragment is aligned with the vertical
  center of the first score line including the lyrics, which means
  that it ends up about at the height of the second line of the first
  verse of the lyrics. Again, there are (La)TeX tricks to align objects
  according to upper edge instead of the ordinary text baseline, but
  since you have don't have the same clef in the incipit as on the
  full piece, it wouldn't match exactly anyway. I'm afraid I don't
  know any good solution.

  /Mats

Laura Conrad wrote:
In converting to 2.0, I have to write more shell scripts to make my
incipits work, so I figured I might do a major redesign to make them
look better as well as work in 2.0.

What I want to do now is use the ambitus engraver next to the modern
clef for indicating the range, and have a separate lily file that has
the first note with the original clef, time signature, note value,
etc.
This is much more straightforward than having the incipit in the same
file as the rest of the music, and having to tell lily all kinds of
things like changing the notehead style, having the lyrics start on
the real first note, etc.  Also, the ambitus engraver does a better
job than my notes with transparent stems, which got lily's spacing
algorighm applied to them.

Anyway, I have the files set up, and they look pretty good
individually, but my problem now is:

        How do I get lilypond-book to print the (usually one-note)
        fragment, and then continue with the piece on the same line?

Attached is an example:

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems