confused about transposing

From: chip
Subject: confused about transposing
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:00:00 -0800

I have a chart I have transcribed for tenor sax. Now I would like to transpose it to trombone, bass clef. I read the little bit in the manual about transposing on page 87 but am confused by the pics - the sample code shows
\transpose c g'
\transpose c f'

but the pics show a staff transposed into A and G, from D. I would expect to see the samples transposed into g and f, I guess.
Anyway, I need some tips on going from Bb Tenor to Trombone.
Thanks,
Chip