Re: confused about transposing

From: J. Daniel Ashton
Subject: Re: confused about transposing
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:44:59 -0500

I pondered this in my sleep last night, and this is the rule I came up with:

  When transposing keys (not instruments), say
    \transpose from to

  When transposing instrument parts, say
    \transpose to from

Example 1: I have a masterpiece in D.  I think it's a little too low, so
I want to typeset it in E.  I should use
  \tranpose d e

Example 2: I have a violin part.  I want to prepare it for my
brother-in-law to play on his A clarinet.  I should use
  \transpose a c

Could someone verify that I got this right?  If so, it might be fodder
for an update to the documentation.

Regards,

Daniel

--