Re: problem getting text in correct position

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: problem getting text in correct position
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:26:58 +0100

chip wrote:
I am trying to put the text "Free Time Intro" at the beginning of my song either below or above an empty measure. I can get it there, but I cannot get it positioned correctly. Here is the code I have tried -

\property Voice.TextScript \set #'padding = #0.0
   << { s1^\markup { "Free Time Intro" } } >>

Padding is close but I can't seem to move the text to the left at all, only up.

The padding affects the vertical spacing, which I guess is OK by default.
If you want LilyPond to reserve horizontal space for a text script,
use the macro \fatText, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-scripts.html#Text%20scripts

And I have also tried this -
\property Voice.TextScript \override #'extra-offset =#'(1 . -5.5)
\mark \markup {"Free Time Intro"}
\property Voice.TextScript \revert #'extra-offset
\property Score.skipBars = ##t R1*1

With this code no matter what numbers I plug in the text refuses to move, at all.

Yes, of course, since a \mark produces a RehearsalMark object and
not a TextScript object. Also, the rehearsal marks are typeset on
the Score level, not for each Voice, so
\property Score.RehearsalMark ...
is needed.

To make the rehearsal mark left aligned, do
  \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'self-alignment-X = #left
However, I didn't manage to do anything similar to \fatText for
rehearsal marks,
\property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'no-spacing-rods = ##t
which I expected to work doesn't seem to make any difference.

   /Mats