Space between beams?

From: donald_j_axel
Subject: Space between beams?
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 01:25:44 +0100

   What is the name of the variable for the distance between
beam-lines?

   If there is such a variable it would improve the engraving
on which I am working, Chopin op. 28.1. I could need it for
several other pieces too.

   The example shows the beams of the inner voice just keeping
distance from notes/lines, and all is well. It would be even
better with smaller beams, though. I tried

   \property Voice.fontSize = #-1

but that makes noteheads smaller too.

   I hope this is not too much of a beginner/FAQ question,
I have tried to find examples but cannot - maybe there isn't
and then that would be nice to know.

% force direction of stems
u = \stemUp
d = \stemDown
b = \stemBoth

% explicit staff change
su = \notes{ \translator Staff = upper}
sd = \notes{ \translator Staff = lower}

  %bar 5
  \times 2/3 {r16 \su \u e'    a'  }
  \once \property Voice.NoteColumn \set #'horizontal-shift = #1
  \once \property Voice.Beam \override #'thickness = #0.34
  \once \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'( 2.1 . -0.4)
  %% no, no. \once \property Voice.fontSize = #-1
  \times 2/3 {   c'' a'        d'  }  |

   Regards
   /Donald

--