Re: Screwed-Up MIDI

From: Will Oram
Subject: Re: Screwed-Up MIDI
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:54:01 -0500

On Feb 6, 2004, at 10.42 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:17:01 -0500
Will Oram <address@hidden> wrote:
On Feb 6, 2004, at 7.03 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Your violin staff or voice ends up on Channel 10 - which is the
percussion channel. Can you double check that you hear the same
thing on other MIDI players? If yes, send a .ly snippet  that
reproduces the problem.

I first tried it using MightyMIDI (a freeware Mac app), which has
normally played 2.1.17 .midis fine. After it first happened, I tried
it with QuickTime Player...same thing.

Have you tried it using timidity?  (it's not in fink, so you'd need to
compile it yourself; if you don't have it installed already, I wouldn't
bother installing it.)

If you're looking for a .ly snippet, what did you have in mind?

Make a .ly snippet as small as possible but which still demonstrates
this bug.  I'd start by deleting all but two bars of your piece (on a
seperate copy, of course!).  If that still shows the problem, then try
commenting out some instruments.  If that solves the problem, then
uncomment those instruments and send us the file. If that doesn't solve
the problem, then keep on commenting out stuff until you've found the
smallest thing that still has a problem.

My bet is that once you comment out an instrument, the problem will be
fixed, so you'll want to send us a version of your piece that has one or
two bars in each instrument.

One instrument was enough. Then again, 14 tracks should have been enough from the start.

No matter. I'll send it someone's way. Thanks.

Will Oram
spamguy ^^AT^^ foxchange.com // william.oram ^^AT^^ cwru.edu // AIM spamguy21