Re: Font problems

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Font problems
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:50:05 +0100

Jan Kohnert wrote:
Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 11:47 schrieb Mats Bengtsson:

Please always specify a subject on your emails. In these
days when there are lot of spam and virus emails, it was
just about to delete your email withour reading it.

Just answered, didn't care for the not specified subject, Sorry :-(

This was intended for Joe who sent the original question.

If this is for some reason not possible for you, try to add the correct
font paths in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
(BUT BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!)
and than do a "texhash".

This should never be necessary. If Jan knew more details about the
LilyPond installation, I'm sure he would never recommend this solution,
especially not since there are many more files than the .afm files that
have to be known to the TeX related programs.

I added my /usr/lilypond/2.0.1/fonts to that file did a texhash and it worked, because for some reason my SuSE does not want to execute the scripts in /etc/profile.d ... :-(
Thatswhy the (possible) solution.
Surely not that elegant...

Note that the lilypond program will work anyway, since it internally
does the same settings as are done in lilypond-profile.

What will not work if you have not sourced lilypond-profile is
- xdvi (your solution may solve that depending on what you changed in texmf.cnf)
- latex-book followed by latex and dvips (your solution does not solve
  these issues if you just set the font paths).

Regarding /etc/profile.d/, I know that Debian don't want packages to
set environment variables to avoid that several packages use the same
variable name. Their solution is to install all the necessary LilyPond
files in the original texmf/ directory of teTeX.

On RedHat, the following lines in /etc/profile, make sure that the
files in /etc/profile.d/ are sourced at startup.

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
    if [ -r "$i" ]; then
        . $i
    fi
done

If you have the lilypond-profile.sh file in /etc/profile.d/ but it isn't
read for some reason, just add the line
. /etc/profile.d/lilypond-profile.sh
in your personal ~/.profile
That's much better than fiddling with the texmf.cnf file.

   /Mats