Re: lilypond-user faq, documentation, and small issues

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond-user faq, documentation, and small issues
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:31:54 +0100

(Please use a setting in your email program to break the lines at
regular intervals. When I edit the reply to your email, each of your
items appears on a single long line).

Todd M. Zimnoch wrote:
        I'm new to this group, and while I've found the archives, I haven't
found a faq for this group.  Does one exist?

There have been long the discussions on the mailing list on the need for
a FAQ. In the end it boils down to that someone has to be responsible
and keep it up to date (which is a challenging task since LilyPond still
keeps evolving at a high rate). Also, the ambition is rather to improve
the problem and the ordinary documentation when a FAQ appears.

        I've waded through lilypond's documentation, mostly skimming, and one
area I haven't found that I would personally find most useful is a straight
listing of all properties.  e.g., a \header block has fields for piece,
copyright, title, subtitle, subsubtitle, opus, poet, head, pagenumber,
composer.... I don't imagine that's exhaustive, but I can't find an exhaustive
list. (item 6.1.1 in lilypond's documentation comes close)  Staves have their
own list of properties I'd like to know more about, e.g. instr, instrument.
Have I missed a resource or read too fast?

The list of \header fields is documented in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Invoking-lilypond.html#Invoking%20lilypond
For all other properties, you can find complete lists in the on-line
manual if you click on "Program reference". Lists for each kind of
context are found under "Translation" -> "Contexts" and lists for each
kind of graphical object under "Backend" -> "All layout objects:".
However, the easiest way to navigate to such a list is often to follow
the links under "See also" at the bottom of the page in the user manual.

Also, one great source of information and examples is the "Tips and
Tricks" document as well as the "Regression test" document on
lilypond.org.

        My more immediate problems concern rehearsal marks and large scores
with separate parts printing.  Is there a way to set or define rehearsal marks
so they can be easily included with a \notes block?  I'm not enjoying editting
every \notes block to place rehearsal marks on every part and I'd like a way to
guarantee that the rehearsal marks are in exactly the same location for every
part.  :/

Have you found http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ yet? Here you will find
lots of larger examples of using LilyPond (in the advanced search page
you can specify examples that match your own LilyPond version).
There are also a couple of examples in your own LilyPond installation,
typically in /usr/share/doc/lilypond/*/input/mutopia/.
In many of these examples, you'll find something like
global = \notes{ \skip 1*13 \mark "A" \skip 1*25 \mark "B" \bar "||" }
which can be used both in a full score and in a separate part using
\score{ % Full score
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff << \global \flute >>
    \new Staff {\oboe}

\score{ % Oboe part
  \new Staff << \global \oboe >>
}

        Also, if the rehearsal mark appears at the begining of a staff it
prints over and behind the clef directly on top of the measure number
(easy-to-miss and hard-to-read) rather than above the key signature (standard
for sheet music I've played).  How can I move it?

You can find some recent discussions on this topic on the mailing list
archives. I'm not sure what the best solution is for the moment.

   /Mats