Re: dvipdfm results in no note stems

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: dvipdfm results in no note stems
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:05:50 +0100

I think you have described the problem and the solution quite well
already. Dvipdfm will not work on any LilyPond generated file since
it doesn't understand the embedded postscript code used for slurs,
and several other objects in the output.
You can and should use ps2pdf (or Acrobat Distiller if you have it
at hand) to create PDF files. This is what is described in the manual
(we have recently added it also in the Tutorial for the development
version, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Integrating-text-and-music.html#Integrating%20text%20and%20music ).

  /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Hi,

I am just stating to use lilypond on a Debian Sarge system.  Fresh
install of lilypond in the past few days.  I have been inserting small
sections on music in LaTeX files and using 'lilypond-book --outdir=/tmp
file.tex && cd /tmp && latex file.latex && dvips -Ppdf -u +lilypond.map
file.dvi && dvipdfm file.dvi'.

On the last command, I get errors like:

Unrecognized special ignored
Current input buffer is -->"lyscale1.405839  0.0650 0.0650 3.0000 0.2250
0.11...
<--

one of these for each note stem that is missing.  There also seemed to
be a processing error on an imbedded eps file in the same LaTeX doc but
that was ignored as well.

I do find that ps2pdf does work in making a pdf file.  Any help on this
would be greatly appreciated.

If this is a duplicate message, I apologize.  I sent an earlier message
before subscribing to the list and am not sure if it made it in or not.

Great program!

Sterling MacNay

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing