Re: jazz notation

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: jazz notation
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:01:01 -0500

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 14:43, Joerg Anders wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, David Rogers wrote:
> > So, to Joerg - I think "Swing 8ths" and "Straight 8ths" is clear
> > and easy.
>
> Thank you all! Perhaps I can implement this into the LilyPond
> exporting NoteEdit replay mechanism. Some jazz musicians said they
> were unable to play series of triplets. This were very confusing.
>
> In LilyPond I'd simply place the words "Swing 8ths" and "Straight
> 8ths" above the staff.

That's fine, but I don't see any problem with "Jazz 8ths".  You seem to
have the impression that jazz-swing 8ths are 2:1 triplets.  They aren't
even close.  I thought for some time that they were 3:2 quintuplets, but
when I got to actually try ratios on the computer I found that they are
more like 17:15 or 33:31.  You need to consult someone who has tested
what the limits are, because I haven't, but a triplet is a triplet for
sure, not a jazz-swing 8th.

This is kinda late, video problem, sorry.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing