Re: jazz notation

From: José Luis Cruz
Subject: Re: jazz notation
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:15:55 +0100

A 16/02/04 12:01:01
David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden> escribió:

> That's fine, but I don't see any problem with "Jazz 8ths".  You seem
> to have the impression that jazz-swing 8ths are 2:1 triplets.  They
> aren't even close.  I thought for some time that they were 3:2
> quintuplets, but when I got to actually try ratios on the computer I
> found that they are more like 17:15 or 33:31.  You need to consult
> someone who has tested what the limits are, because I haven't, but a
> triplet is a triplet for sure, not a jazz-swing 8th.

Simplifying it, i could say:

If you play normal 8ths... that's not jazzy

If you play triplets (4th 8th) / (2:1)... thats another thing, but
isn't jazz at all.

But if you try playing triplets (4th 8th) / (2:1) with the accent
in the last beat (and at reasonable speed), then you're closer to
what is jazz-swing. It's something between the last two, yep.

joseluis