addlyrics vs. lyricsto

From: Nancho Alvarez
Subject: addlyrics vs. lyricsto
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:28:21 +0100

Hello! I have been playing around with the development version of lilypond.
The improved lyrics support is lovely, specially the new way of rendering hyphens. I have seen that \addlyrics is not longer documented, and that there is a new way
to link notes and text, \lyricsto. The behaviour of both is different.

I attach an example.
With lyricsto (upper staff) the alignment looks centered on the note. This is nice if the notes are not part of a melisma, but in my opinion, in the melismas, the text should be centered at the left, because usually there is a lot of room to the right of the note.

With addlyrics (down staff) the melisma is very nicely aligned but it seems that the last sylabe would be nicer if it would be centered.

This difference of behaviour is  a bug or a feature?

Thank you in advance
                                             NANCHO

PNG image

\version "2.1.23"
#(set-global-staff-size 16)

\header{}

melody=\notes{ g'8 \melisma a' b'  c'' \melismaEnd c''2 }
text=\lyrics{ssssssssssssssoft -- ware }

\score{
<<

\context Voice = soprano \melody
\lyricsto soprano \new Lyrics \text