Re: jazz notation

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: jazz notation
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:18:50 -0800

Quoting David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden>:

> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 14:43, Joerg Anders wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, David Rogers wrote:
> > > So, to Joerg - I think "Swing 8ths" and "Straight 8ths" is clear
> > > and easy.
> >
> > Thank you all! Perhaps I can implement this into the LilyPond
> > exporting NoteEdit replay mechanism. Some jazz musicians said they
> > were unable to play series of triplets. This were very confusing.
> >
> > In LilyPond I'd simply place the words "Swing 8ths" and "Straight
> > 8ths" above the staff.
>
> That's fine, but I don't see any problem with "Jazz 8ths".  You seem to
> have the impression that jazz-swing 8ths are 2:1 triplets.  They aren't
> even close.  I thought for some time that they were 3:2 quintuplets, but
> when I got to actually try ratios on the computer I found that they are
> more like 17:15 or 33:31.  You need to consult someone who has tested
> what the limits are, because I haven't, but a triplet is a triplet for
> sure, not a jazz-swing 8th.

You're right that "Jazz 8ths" wording would make sense also, but he was
originally just going to print "Jazz", and *that* might have left people
scratching their heads.

Swing is neither triplets nor straight eighths nor any other definable ratio,
because the exact ratio of uneven-ness is up to the players. If you calculate
that
it's 17:15, that's only valid for you, on that day, in that tempo, etc. But I
guess
in terms of midi playback one would have to find something reasonable, as
you've
laid out - I don't know how midi works at all.

David