Re: Making Large-Print Music

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Making Large-Print Music
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:46:54 +0100

If you upgrade to a recent development version of LilyPond,
you may actually say
#(set-global-staff-size 42)
to obtain exactly what you ask for.

If you stay with the stable release, your method of scaling up a
smaller size score is usually the best solution.

If you want to try your hacking abilities:
If you download the source code of LilyPond, you will find that
it's fairly easy to make a larger version of the font by making
a modified copy of mf/feta26.mf, for example. However, in order
to use it in LilyPond, you also have to edit some other files
related to the font selection mechanisms and decide what sizes to
use for textual indications and so on. Finally, the LilyPond font
looks somewhat different for different font sizes in order to be
as pleasing as possible to the eye. Some of these tweaks might give
very strange results in such large font sizes.
The set-global-staff-size function in the development version will
just scale up the largest available font (26pt).

   /Mats

Ruven Gottlieb wrote:
Hi,

I need larger fonts for Lilypond. How can I generate them? What tools did you use to make the fonts you use?

I currently make large print music by composing with the "paper26.ly" fonts, and a papersize of "a6", then using a script to feed the dvi output to dvips like this:

#!/bin/sh
INFILE=$1
dvips -E -i -o $INFLIE -t landscape -O 1.25in,0.0in -x 2000/1000 $INFILE

It works fairly well, but even this isn't quite large enough, and I'd like to be able to generate my own templates like you do with:

\include "paper42.ly" <---- for example

Now, I actually tried this, but it didn't work. I thought maybe you generated the fonts to scale on the fly, but I guess not.

Thanks,

Ruven Gottlieb

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing