Re: Feature request: Melisma

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Feature request: Melisma
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:27:04 +0100

On Friday 20 February 2004 07.25, TS Sunhede Fulk wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm using 2.01 (Mac OS X) and really like the program. However, one
> thing bugs me to death: melismata.
>
> Before my ancient Powerbook died, I used Opcode's Fermata to typeset
> music. It handled a melisma by having you attach an underscore after
> the lyric syllable for every note that the melisma spanned.
>
> Example: Hel_ lo_____ ("Hel" spans one extra note. "Lo" spans 5 extra
> notes.)
>
> This made note and lyric line up a breeze.
>
> If you could PLEASE add a scheme as simple as this to Lilypond, I would
> be very grateful. Ninety-nine percent of the music I typeset has
> multiple verses, and the verses have melismata on different notes
> (which makes all of your schemes a pain in the butt).
>
> Maybe you have an easier way to do them, but I have not seen anything
> in the docs.

There is a new improved lyrics system in the latest development versions
(2.1.x). Among other things, you can use \skip 4 to skip an extra note.

If you don't want to upgrade to 2.1 (or wait for 2.2), then I'd suggest you
not to use \addlyrics, but to type all durations by hand instead.
Alternatively, if you don't need extender lines ( __ ) for your melismata,
then you can insert empty lyrics ( "" ) to skip notes.

Erik