Re: shifting notes horizontally (and generally moving things around)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: shifting notes horizontally (and generally moving things around)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:07:30 +0100

Did you really read the lines at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Grace-notes.html#Grace%20notes
that talk about ending a note with a grace note?
Something like
\grace d8( << { e4)( } { s8 \grace c8)} >> d4
should be a good starting point. You can adjust the duration of the s8
to move the grace note around.

  /Mats

Bertalan Fodor wrote:
Hello,

I have a serious problem (and have been searching for a solution for
three hours now to) (2.1.18)

I must have the following:

\grace d8( e4)( \grace c8)

i.e. I have to have a main note surrounded with two graces. But the
second note should be shifted back. In Finale it would be 5 seconds to
solve it :-( I tried \property Voice.NoteColumn \override
#'horizontal-shift = #3 but it did nothing.

Generally speaking moving things around in LilyPond is very hairy. Every
object has its special syntax. One could say that I shouldn't move
things manually, because layout is LilyPond's work, but it is the same
misconception which is in (La)TeX. A non-wysiwyg editor has two choices
to be really useful: 1. perfectly lays out every situation so you never have to care about
the representation of your information. That's what Latex and a bit Lily
says, but I think it is practically impossible to implement.
2. when something goes wrong the user have SIMPLE tools to rectify the
problems

I think it is not normal that I have to read documentation for hours
just to move one note manually. (And actually I still don't know how to
do this :-( )

Thanks,

Bert

        Mats Bengtsson