Re: 2.1.25 Compile problems

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: 2.1.25 Compile problems
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:52:38 +0100 (CET)

Hello Walter,

[...]
> -2.1.25/share/lilypond/scm/document-markup.scm]*** malloc[6369]:
> Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x2b8aa08; This could be a double
> free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting
> environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
[...]
> -2.1.25/share/lilypond/scm/document-markup.scm]*** malloc[12770]:
> Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x2b8aa08; This could be a double
> free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting
> environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
[...]
> ### execution of gnumake failed, exit code 2
> Failed: installing lilypond-unstable-2.1.25-1 failed
>
> Any ideas? I have upgraded the OS to 10.3.2 since my last build and suspect
> that this could be a problem but I have installed and re-installed all of
> the developers tools. Any other Mac users out there ever seen this before.
> I am not a programmer but I do recognize that malloc problems are funtions
> to allocate memory. Does this look like an incomplete installation or a
> problem with the source?

I think you may have a very good compiler and that it might be a problem
with the source. From the release notes of 2.1.25:

For the past few days, I've received reports about hard-to trace
crashes in LilyPond 2.1.22 and 2.1.23.  If you are affected by signal
11 faults, then can you try this release to see if it fixes these
problems? If not, please send a full bugreport (including platform
description and compilation options) to address@hidden

I my own project I have seen similar symptoms (crashing at any random new
statement) and there it was caused by a malloc/free mistake. So I guess it
would be nice if you could tell which compiler (+version) you use, and
then a Mac hacker (IANAMH) might follow up on the MallocHelp hint.
Probably the readers of address@hidden would be interested in this
as well.

David Boersma