Re: Piano markings question

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: Piano markings question
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:33:22 +0100 (CET)

The problem was to improve the example hack for piano dynamics being
centred between the staves so that it works for other expression marks.

Matts suggested:

While Han-Wen said:

> The hack in the templates section add extra-offset for the
> dynamics. Maybe you could add that for TextScripts too?

I can't get any of these to work exactly, though I could if I fiddled the
numbers a bit. But rather than just fiddle I'd prefer to know what's going
on. There are two issues:

1. I'd like to understand what the two alternative approaches are doing
above, and why I should choose one rather than the other. In particular, I
don't want to use magic numbers (which the existing hack already seems to
do, e.g.

      \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
      \override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

where does the 2.5 come from?

2. Neither approach above, nor the existing stuff, seems to affect \cresc
.. \endcresc, which still puts its text too low.

It would be nice to sort this out so that it can be fed back to improve
the manual example.

--
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/ | The old cliches are the best