Re: can't find 'lilyponddefs'

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: can't find 'lilyponddefs'
Date: 25 Feb 2004 17:10:03 +0000

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:18, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> This typically means that you haven't sourced lilypond-profile
> (which is found in buildscripts/out/ if you compiled it yourself).
>
>     /Mats

Right, Han-Wen gave me the heads-up about that off-list.  I had trouble
with this some time ago.  At that time I got some help here about that.
I didn't understand some of the instructions at first.  Eventually, I
was left with the impression that all I would have to do is to place a
copy of lilypond-profile in /etc/profile.d/ (I'm on RedHat 9.0) and all
would be well.  It has been working fine for several upgrades.  In fact
it was working just fine just recently without changing anything.  I was
using v2.1.25.hwn1 yesterday and this morning.  Then after a re-boot I
was getting the "can't find lilyponddefs" thing.

I did:

echo $TEXMF

...and my current LilyPond version (2.1.27) did *not* appear.  I did:

. /usr/src/lilypond/buildscripts/out/lilypond-profile

echo $TEXMF

...and 2.1.27 *did* appear.

Now, however, if I login again, or close any open consoles and open a
new one and do 'echo $TEXMF' my current LilyPond will not appear.  This
can't be right.

But I'm learning;  I see that I had put a file lilypond.sh in
/etc/profile.d/ but in that file I had not specified the line:

. /PATH/TO/lilypond-profile

Now I have done so.  It points to the lilypond-profile in the LilyPond
source tree.  Everything is fine now.

The mystery still stands, though:  Why was it working fine before and
then suddenly stop?

Thank you all for your patience,

David