Re: ess-tset in lyrics w/lilypond-book

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: ess-tset in lyrics w/lilypond-book
Date: 29 Feb 2004 12:52:44 +0000

Ron,

>What I did figure out is that it has something to do with different
>character orders of the fonts when used in Lilypond and in Latex.

I came to a similar conclusion.  It seems to me that something different
is done between \markup and \lyrics.  \markup is working fine for me but
\lyrics does something else.  I have yet to try out your suggestions but
here is a kludgy workaround I figured out:

When I used the ess-tset directly in the lyrics in my input file nothing
was displayed in the dvi/ps/pdf files, not even a blank space.  It was
as though I had not put anything at that place in the lyrics.  I looked
in the *.tex file that lilypond-book generated and found that the
ess-tset had been passed along and was right there in the file (yes, it
took some nosing around to find it).  Then I looked at places in the
same *.tex file which were successfully producing the ess-tset in the
*.ps output.  In those places it was being represented as '"s'.  In the
case of \markup, the '\"s' was passed along to the *.tex file as '"s'
but in lyrics '\"s' is passed along as '\"s', i.e. unchanged.   In the
case of the ess-tset in the *.tex file I tried replacing the ess-tset
with '"s' and ran it through LaTeX --> dvips etc. and it worked.

As for using \char, is that possible within lyrics?  When preparing
LaTeX documents I very frequently make use of \char codes.  I simply use
T1 encoding.  I live in Iceland and often have to make use of non
US-ASCII characters so I'm familiar with it.

I haven't tried working out the LaTex wrapper you were talking about but
do I understand that you are suggesting coming at it from the opposite
direction?  That is, rather than try to make the lyrics behave the way
the other text does, I should figure out how the lyrics want to work and
make the \markup text do the same?

I have a short/dirty script for processing my *.lytex file. For the
moment I'm simply placing a real ess-tset where I want it and I've added
this to the script:

sed -i 's/ß/"s/g' lily-28151451.tex

It is producing the desired results. If any of you sed jockeys out there
can tell me how to specify all *.tex files I would appreciate it.  The
above line is doing the job because lilypond-book is giving that name to
the file I need changed, but it will get really tedious if I need this
done on multiple files.

-David