Re: [ot] SPAM/Worm problem (was: Accounts department)

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: [ot] SPAM/Worm problem (was: Accounts department)
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:32:29 +0100

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:36:58AM -0500, Nick Busigin wrote:
> > > a) make the list closed post (only subscribed members may post to the
> > > list),
> > > b) if that worms come from a subscribed member, kick that member,
> > > c) reject every mail containing attachments other than .ly or .png.
> >
> > IMO only option C) is viable - and it will need a longer whitelist.
>
> Why not (a) and (c)?

Hmm. If (c) works, we don't need (a), and open lists are more
userfriendly.

For Han-Wen's remark: instead of whitelisting contents, one could also
blacklist potentially dangerous attachements (name extensions .zip,
.exe, .html, .bat, .com, .scr, .pif, all kind of MS Office documents,
and corresponding content types). This would create a little higher risk
for worms doing it through the mailinglist, but it would probably easier
to maintain and more convenient for list members. Note that IMO the goal
of filtering should not be protecion of list members (that's each one's
own job), but to reduce noise created by spam/worms.

Regards,
        Kili