Re: emacs, umlauts, tabbing, ess-tset etc.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: emacs, umlauts, tabbing, ess-tset etc.
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:15:53 +0100

David Bobroff wrote:
It seems that for lyrics it is optional to escape the ".  It appears to
work either way.  The problem with *not* escaping them is that the auto
indent gets confused for anything input after that point in the *.ly
file.  Nor does auto-highlighting of enclosures i.e.: () [] {}, take
place.  That is inconvenient.

Using \ss{} doesn't work.  For some reason LilyPond fails to add space
after the ess-tset.

I definitely recommend to use \ss{} or even better to input ß directly.
On my computer, I can get it by pressing "Alt Gr" and "s" at the same
time. Emacs does also support a number of different input methods, see
the section on International Character Set Support in the info
documentation of Emacs (press 'CTRL-h i' in Emacs to to start the
info browser). As you already have noted, the use of double quotes
in german babel just confuses the syntax coloring in Emacs.
I'm not sure what problem you have with spaces after \ss{}.
If you mean that LilyPond doesn't correctly take the width of the
ß into account when calculating the note spacing, that's since it
doesn't know anything about TeX commands like \ss{} so then the
best solution is to use ß directly instead (even if LilyPond doesn't
know this character, it will approximate its width with the width of
a normal character). If you really want a space after an ß within
a syllable, \ss{}_ should work well, just as ß_

In this scenario I'm also getting occasional color confusion as well,
but I have not been able to reproduce it intentionally.  Someone else
has remarked about the "string" color continuing where it should not
have.

For this problem it seems that the simplest thing to do is to use
[german] and enter ess-tset as a real one (and treat the *.tex file to
sed) or as '\"s' and then remove the '\' before compiling the score (or
perhaps do the sed thing in this case as well).

This seems to me like an extremely complicated solution to a simple problem.

  /Mats