Re: ottava & polyphony

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: ottava & polyphony
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:14:18 +0100

The question is what is the correct typesetting practice.
As a musician, how can I know if the ottava applies only to
the upper voice or to the full stave (how would you notate it
if it only applied to the lower voice for some weird reason)?

Actually, this feature is described in the chapter on
"Staff Notation" in the reference manual, so the documentation
does actually say (at least implicitly) that the octaviation
applies to the full stave.

   /Mats

GoochRules! wrote:
Greetings,

I am attempting to mix ottava brackets and polyphony.
I have to following fragment:

<< { \skip 2. #(set-octavation 1) \acciaccatura cis' cis''4 \acciaccatura fis fis'2 #(set-octavation 0) } \\ { < fis, cis, >2.~ < fis, cis, >2. } >>

I am finding that the lower (second) voice is being subjected to the ottava as well as the upper voice. I only want the upper voice to be affected. I have found no reference to this in the documentation (PDF for version 2.0.2).

Is this a bug in version 2.0.1?  Has it been fixed in a later version?

--Matthew Peltzer

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems