Re: question: volta + dynamics

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: question: volta + dynamics
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:48:16 -0700

On Wednesday March 10 2004 12:23, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Saturday 06 March 2004 02:53, Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
> >   Is there a preferred way to have two different dynamics in a
> > section of music to indicate that it is played at one level the first
> > time and at the next level the second time?
>
> fp is common, and I've seen pf.  I've never seen f-p.

fp to me implies that the note have a strong attack, followed by immediately
pulling back the intensity.

> Use markup, and make a separate midi version without the volte.  That's
> really the only way to do any fine tuning of the midi.  Midi is in
> LilyPond only to check for errors.  The GODs are not going to go
> any further, but I don't think that they would mind if someone else
> did.
>
> A lily2midge converter might be the way to go with that.  daveA

I personally hope that I can get back into programming this summer a bit; This
is one idea I have for a project I might take up. LilyPond does so good with
sheet music output; it is a very helpful tool to proofread a document by
syntax, output, and even aurally. Listening to output has helped me find
wrong notes quite well, but that is about as far as I find I can use it
without more precise output.