[OT] Re: question: volta + dynamics

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: [OT] Re: question: volta + dynamics
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:21:52 +0100

[Little bit offtopic]

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 09:40:07AM -0500, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> [...] How could fp or pf mean the same thing on guitar
> or piano as it does on arci or winds?

I'v even seen a piano sheet with a crescendo on a single half note chord,
at tempo allegretto.

Technically, that's of course complete nonsense. However, it may be that
the composer (unfortunately I dont' remember where I'v seen that strange
crescendo) wanted to explain the intention of the music. "I'd love to
have a crescendo here, but unfortunately that's impossible on a piano."

On the other hand, the engraver that did that sheet may have been a
little bit stoned :-)

BTW: the other direction (from f subito to p) *is* possible on piano
with sophisticated pedalling/damping. [I wish I had *that* skills]

Ciao,
        Kili

--
Der audiophile High-Ender hört nicht die Musik, er hört die Anlage.