Re: Publishing using Lilypond ....

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Publishing using Lilypond ....
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:14:15 -0500

On Saturday 06 March 2004 17:40, Hans Forbrich wrote:
> I am have (re)started discussions with a local professional
> print/binding shop around professionally publishing some
> Lilypond-based work.  In part, I'd like to set something up around
> Tex-based small-run business here (here being St. Albert - adjacent
> to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada).
>
> Anyone have any related experiences or wisdom that I can/should
> reference in the negotiations?

You are entitled to a lower rate because you are printing something for
resale.  That also affects sales and/or VA taxes, whatever you have in
Alberta.  Before they give you a lower rate, you can't blame them for
wanting to make sure that you intend to sell your masterpieces rather
than eat them all yourself, because this could cause a liability for
them.

Any commercial printer should be able to handle a postscript file,
although you might be asked to put it on a Mac formatted diskette.
Probably not, and IAC I believe you can do that with linux.  Submit
postscript to avoid unnecessary charges.

Design a nice cover that you can use over and over again for different
publications.  You might get a break if they have too much of some
particular cover stock.

There is a rule of thumb that the the cost of printing to you should be
one-tenth of the retail price.

Printer to jobber to retailer to customer.

Middlemen all want 50%.  Sell as many direct as you can.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing