Re: Line / page breaks

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Line / page breaks
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:59:35 +0100

Le Vendredi 12 Mars 2004 00:05, Paul Scott a écrit :
> Roland Goretzki wrote:
> >Hello list, hello Zbynek,
> >
> >You wrote:
> >>Is way to define linebreak (or pagebreak) in files with \score sections?
> >>Breaks are on other place at score and on other place at part.
> >
> >AFAIK You can give the linebreaks in the global section, par example:
> >
> >global = \notes {
> >  \key c \major \time 2/4
> >  s2*5 \break
> >  \bar "|."
> >}
> >
> >I've it not tested, but it might work. :)
>
> That would require different global parts for parts and scores which
> defeats the purpose.  The combination of the two ideas would work.
>
> global = \notes {
>    music
>    \partbreak
>    more music
> }
>
> Paul

It works perfectly good and gives a way to deal each part much easier.
I have used it when typesetting a Bach cantata (BWV 106) for the choir I
attend to.
As a matter of fact, even if you multiply the number of files to deal with, it
is easier to make corrections. You just have to inlcude the eg.
"VoicesBreak.ly" in the global section of your flutes section of the score:

%file 2Voix.ly overcommented
\version "2.0.0"

\include "paper16.ly"
\include "english.ly"
% CALLING PARTICULAR DEFINITIONS FOR THE OUTPUT (eg. P subito)
\include "0defs.ly"

global = \notes {
    \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'molecule-callback =
   #(make-molecule-boxer 0.15 0.3 0.3 Text_item::brew_molecule)
    \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'padding = #4
% CALLING KEY & TIME SIGNATURE FOR MOVEMENT NUMBER 2
    \include "2Global.ly" }
% CALLING LINE BREAKS FOR CHOIR BOOK 2nd MOVEMENT
saut = \notes { \include "2VoixS.ly" }

choeur = \context ChoirStaff = choeur <<
    \context Staff = Sopran { }
    \context Lyrics = LS { }
    \context Staff = Alto { }
    \context Lyrics = LA { }
    \context Staff = Tenor { }
    \context Lyrics = LT { }
    \context Staff = Basse { }
    \context Lyrics = LB { }

  \addlyrics \context Staff = Sopran <<
      \property Staff.instrument = "Soprano "
      \property Staff.instr = "S "
      \property Staff.autoBeaming = ##f
      \property Staff.automaticMelismata = ##t
      \property Staff.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-4 . 3)
      \clef treble
      \global
      \context Voice \notes \relative c'' { \include "2SopM.ly" } >>
    \context Lyrics = LS { \lyrics {\include "2SopT.ly"}}

  \addlyrics \context Staff = Alto << [...] >>
  \addlyrics \context Staff = Tenor << [...] >>
  \addlyrics \context Staff = Basse << [...] >>

\score {
    \context ChoirStaff <<
        \property Score.BarNumber \override #'padding = #2
        \property Score.MetronomeMark \override #'padding = #3
        \property Score.skipBars = ##t

% INTRODUCING THE LINE AND PAGE BREAKING
            \saut
% THE MATERIAL FOR THIS PARTICULAR SCORE
            \choeur

% HEADER FOR MOVEMENT NUMBER 2
    \include "2Papier.ly"
    \paper {
              interscoreline = 11.0\pt
    \translator {
        \StaffContext
                minimumVerticalExtent = #(cons -6 -6)
                 }
% general paper specification
    \include "0Papier.ly" }
}
%EOF

If interested, I've written a small helpfile for reminding.

Jean-Charles