Re: ties vs. slurs

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: ties vs. slurs
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:21:41 +0100

Le Dimanche 14 Mars 2004 22:09, GoochRules! a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
>       Does lilypond handle "f8( f4)" and "f8~ f4" differently?  Is ...~ ...
> simply a short cut for ...( ...)?  What about "f8( f1)( f2)" vs. f8~
> f1~ f2?
>

> --M Peltzer

As indicated in the glossary (not only for non-English users):

*** tie; bind ***
 ES: ligadura de prolongación, I: legatura (di valore), F: liaison, D:
Haltebogen, NL: overbinding, bindingsboog, DK: bindebue, S: bindebåge,
överbindning, FI: sitominen.

A curved line, identical in appearance with the *slur*, which connects two
succesive notes of the same pitch, and which has the function of uniting
them into a single sound equal to the combined durations.
Examples :
3/4  a4 b4 c4~ | c4 d4 e4 will be played: a4 b4 c2 d4 e4
g4._"pointed" g8 g2 is equal to g4 ~ g8 g g2

*** slur ***
 ES: ligadura, I: legatura (di portamento or espressiva), F: liaison,
coulé, D: Bogen, Legatobogen, Phrasierungsbogen, NL: fraseringsboog,
legatoboog, streekboog, DK: legatobue, fraseringsbue, S: båge, FI: kaari.

A slur above or below a group of notes indicates that they are to be played
legato, e.g., with one stroke of the violin bow or with one breath in
singing. It deals with phrasing.

*** legato ***
 ES: ligado, I: legato, F: legato, lié, D: legato, NL: legato, DK: legato,
S: legato, FI: legato, sitoen.

To be performed (a) without any perceptible interruption between the notes
unlike (b) leggiero or non-legato, (c) portato and (d) staccato.

*** melisma ***
 NL: melisma, FI: melisma, laulettavan tavun sävelkuvio.

A melisma (plural: melismata) is a group of notes or tones sung on one
syllable in plainsong .
You will use a slur in order to show the singer that the pitch wil be
changing on a same syllable.

DON'T FORGET TO VISIT http://lilypond.org/web/documentation.html
IT IS NOT JUST FOR LIBRARIANS AND IS HELPFUL...

Jean-Charles