Re: Installing Lilypond

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Installing Lilypond
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:16:30 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:12:12 -0800 (PST), monk Innocent
Lewis wrote:

Starting from the beginning: I went to the Download
page for LilyPond 2.0 for Windows. (I am using XP and
am logged on as the administrator.) I did a
"shift-click" on the set-up file and then was able to
install Cygwin. But I never came across a "select"
page that resembles the one on your page which listed
LilyPond. What did I do wrong?

The "Select Packages" dialog is just after the "Choose A
Download Site" dialog.  Make sure you select
Publishing:lilypond as well as XFree86:XFree86-prog.  I
couldn't get lilypond to execute until I reran setup and
manually selected the XFree86-prog package.  This package
contains some libraries and headers that are required to get
lilypond working.  Actually, they may only be needed for the
downstream tools (dvips or something).

Does the Lilypond development team maintain the Cygwin
package?  If so, please consider adding the XFree86-prog as
a dependency of Lilypond.

I have run lilypond in cygwin without XFree86, so it should
definitely not be necessary. The only case where you need it
is if you want to use xdvi to view the .dvi files of the score
instead of viewing the .ps or .pdf files.

However, I have noticed that setup.exe occasionally fails to
install all packages correctly and you have to rerun setup.exe
once more to have them installed. This might be what happened
to you.

   /Mats