Re: Percussion

From: Ralph Little
Subject: Re: Percussion
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:12:30 -0000

Hi,
I know it's not the whole solution, but to abbreviate things you might
use:

    \repeat unfold x {\beatnotes}

...to avoid repetition.

Also, if you have a riff which you use over and over again, how about
defining it separately:

myriff = \notes {a8 a8 a4 a4 a8 a8}
myotherriff = \notes {a4 a a a}

\notes { \time 4/4
    \myriff |
    \myriff |
    \myotherriff |
    etc.
    }

Regards,
Ralph

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:38:11AM -0500, Scott Webber wrote:
> Also, I don't know if anyone's ever brought this up before, but since
> percussion parts are most often one note, there should be a way to not
type
> the note name every time...something like this:
>
> \notes {
>        \time 4/4
>        c'8 16 16 16 16 16 16 8 r8
>      }
>
> Does that make sense to anyone else?

Yes!  When I make lead sheets for rhythm guitar, I often use a
RhythmStaff and slash note heads to indicate strumming patterns.

The result is somthing like:

\notes { \time 4/4
    a8 a8 a4 a4 a8 a8 |
    a8 a8 a4 a4 a8 a8 |
    a4 a4 a4 a4 |
    etc.
    }

In this case, I really only want to indicate durations and leave off
the pitch since it does not matter on a RhythmStaff.  Having said that,
it is not very hard to add the note, but it makes the resulting code
more verbose than necessary.

---------
Tribal Data Solutions has moved, please visit our website for more details
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk.
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are sent on the basis of
our copyright, e-mail and security policy which can be inspected by visiting
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk/policies.asp.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this
message. Thank you.