Re: Simple lead sheet w/o melody

From: Patrick LeBoutillier
Subject: Re: Simple lead sheet w/o melody
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:54:12 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

Here's more information on what I'm trying to do. I want to write a program
that will read An ASCII file like this:

  G                           G7
I followed her to the station,
      G                      G7
her suitcase in my hand

  C                            C7
I followed her to the station
              G                     G7
With her suitcase in my hand

           D7                    D7              C                C7
Oh it's hard to tell, it's hard to tell, when your love's in vain

D7

and produce a .ly file with ChordNames, chords and lyrics.
The convention is that each line represents 2 bars (forget about
the partials for now).

Suppose I have a way to figure out number of bars that each chords
has to be played and can generate the ChordNames and \notes \chords
sections to my liking.

What I need to do is to be able to enter the lyrics (without having
lilypond attach
any timing to the syllables) and then manually align them within the bars
they span
using some kind of command. So thing like this:

\context new Lyrics \lyrics {
  \span_bars 2 {I followed her to the station,}
  \span_bars 2 {her suitcase in my hand.}

Instead of having each syllable have a certain duration, I want to set a
specific
duration for a whole chunk, without having to specfy how long each
syllable should
be sung for.

Is this possible?

Thanks,