How to represent shifts in fingering (follow-up to old thread)

From: Andrew Stellman
Subject: How to represent shifts in fingering (follow-up to old thread)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:00:05 -0500

Hi! I'm new to this list. This is a reply to a year-old post, but I've made a little progress that will hopefully still be helpful to someone if not the original poster. Also, I have a question at the end about how to create a new glob based on an existing one. I don't know if it's possible to do so, but it would make this approach a little more elegant and readable.

I just started using LilyPond (v2.0.1 for Windows). The first thing I'm doing with it is to transcribe some bass guitar exercises I've been using for years. These exercises focus on string shifts, and it wasn't immediately obvious how to do it. While searching for the answer, I ran across this mailing list, and specifically the following post from last year: