Re: Beaming

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: Beaming
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:38:55 -0700

On Thursday March 18 2004 09:11, Joerg Anders wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I wanted to learn more about the "wonder of beaming"! I hoped
> LilyPond could help me. But it is difficult to
> find a rule.  How many notes are grouped ? It has to do with
> the time signature. But how ? The more examples I test the less I
> understand.
>
> Is there any rule, at all ? Or does it depend on the author/editor ?
> Does anybody know an URL about this topic ? Or perhaps a pointer
> into the LilyPond C code ?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Setting-automatic-beam-behavior.html#Setting%
20automatic%20beam%20behavior has a useful reference in the bugs section (or
chagne to the v2.0 page or whatever version you are using.
  On the 'tips and tricks' page, search for 'beam-auto-override.ly' (without
quotes) and look at what follows (most likely the next two below that link is
what you care about).
  Beans will 'often' not cross the middle of the measure unless it is 'complex
time'; in which case, they usually break the measure into thirds rather than
halves.
  Not every author follows any set of standard beaming rules; some just place
beams on the thought, "it's easy to read".
  Sängers Morgenlied on http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/examples.html is an
example of not following most normal beaming conventions if I understand
right. 'The input' mentions that the beaming in a measure is 'incorrect', but
forced to duplicate the original.
  The amount of notes within a beam is influenced: by tempo, often by where
the beat is (rhythmic flow), and by the note duration within the time
signature.
  I hope this helps at least open your eyes a bit; I don't know where any good
references to this were right now, so I'm sure I'm not quite right on
everything.
  Anybody else care to fill in more and correct what I've messed up?
Ed Sutton